Box Score Nuggets
A few items of interest stood out while looking through the NBA preseason box scores from Wednesday night. Among the items that caused a double-take:
- Dikembe Mutombo is a genius. Despite being five years removed from any sort of productivity he's able to hold a roster spot and $2.2 million salary playing for Houston. At 40 years old, there aren't any better part time gigs than the one Mutombo has lined up.
- Orlando has a nice, young line up. Darko will get his chance to contribute. Plus, Grant Hill not only broke a sweat but also poured in 16 points. The Magic played Charlotte who took pleasure in watching Adam Morrison toss in 19.
- Rodney Carney, Indy boy, played well in his Philly debut. Their roster lacks any depth so Carney should get a chance to make an impact.
- Phoenix is a fantasy stat juggernaut. Diaw, Marion, Nash, Barbosa, and Amare, plus Raja Bell in the late rounds. They are more potent than the Run TMC Warriors of the early '90s.
- I forgot Tyson Chandler and Peja were in New Orleans. Chris Paul could help Chandler put up some nice numbers and vice versa. Looks like they are still playing games in Oklahoma City this year. Seems strange since the Saints are back full time.